If you haven’t noticed, it’s been a little rainy and wet around here. We had high hopes of planting in the field Friday night but that was quickly dashed away when Keith starting sinking in his boots. We had been soaking our spinach seeds and we needed to figure out a way to get those seeds in the field.
Because of space constraints in our larger greenhouse (30′ x 72′) we decided to use our smaller greenhouse (15′ x 48′). In there, we planted broccoli, eggplant and peppers, all planted this past week. In our larger greenhouse, we put in our tomato plants and some peppers. We also seeded some cucumbers in there too. We’ve been harvesting spinach for a while now. Very, very soon will be radishes and soon will be lettuce mix. Our new bed of spinach is looking very nice and with the weather forecast in the 70’s this week, hopefully, we will be picking these new beds.
So back to the soaking seeds dilemna. Keith had the great idea of planting in the raise beds that we already have out there. Last year those raised beds had plastic on them and contained zucchini, summer squash and cucumbers. So we quickly readied the beds and planted away. One bed of beets, one bed of carrots, one bed of spinach and that last bed containing lettuce mix, radishes, turnips and arugula.
Needless to say, a very productive evening last night getting this done. Very happy for the extra daylight as we started late and finished before the sunset.